The love of family is life's greatest blessing!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Beef Stew

When I was growing up I was never fond of stew.  My dad wasn't either so my mom wouldn't make it!  Yeah!  But since being married to a husband who likes it, I decided to give his mom's recipe a try.  I really like this version but my kids have followed in my footsteps when I was younger and they aren't fond of stew either!  I wonder if they would eat it with their eyes shut if that would make a difference?  Does it look worse than it tastes?  

I usually make this for Jeff and I's lunch when the kids are in school but the other day I was in the process of making this stew for our lunch and we ended up going to the Pork Congress that day so we weren't home for lunch.  So, I made it for supper that night.  None of the kids were thrilled about my supper choice but I had it already started so I had to finish it!  Zech was sure he was going to get sick in the night because he had to eat this stew!  Amazingly, he woke up the next morning feeling fine!  :)  You won't hurt my feeling if you look at this recipe and say "YUCK"!  


2 lbs. boneless arm roast, cut into 1" - 2" pieces
2 T. oleo
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 c. water (may need to add more water)
6 or more carrots, cut in 1/2" slices
4 potatoes, cubed
1 onion, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced (optional)
1 - 10 oz. pkg. frozen peas
3 T. minute tapioca

Brown beef cubes in oleo.  Add seasonings and water.  Simmer 1 hour.  Add all vegetables, except peas.  Cook additional 1 hour.  Add peas and tapioca.  Cook 15 minutes longer.

No comments :

Post a Comment