This is one of those recipes that brings me back to my childhood. This is my Mom's Chilli. Yes, she owns it! :) The reason it brings back childhood memories is because when I was growing up we had a wood burning stove as our source of heat in the house so that meant needing lots and lots and lots of wood in the wood shed and box. In the winter months, my dad and brothers would spend some of their Saturday mornings in the timber cutting and loading wood. When they would come home after being in the cold weather all morning, my mom would have a pot of chili on the stove ready to eat when they arrived home. Even though I hadn't been out in the cold all morning, this chili always tasted soooooo good. After lunch, I did get the privilege (yeah, right!) of helping unload the truck full of wood into the wood shed and wood box in the garage. I have made a few adjustments to this recipe but it still brings back a lot of great memories whenever I make it for my family.

2 lbs. hamburger, fried loose and drained. Can add some chopped onion to the hamburger, too, if you like, as your frying it. After grease is drained off, add: 1 - 30 oz. can Mrs. Grimes chili beans, 1 - 15 oz. can chopped tomatoes, 1 can tomato soup, 1 quart of tomato juice. I like to add 1/4 c. brown sugar. Simmer until heated through good. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and/or frito corn chips.
No comments :
Post a Comment