When I first got married, if I found a recipe that I thought looked good I would consider making it but if I saw that it had yeast in it, I no longer considered making it. But, after Jeff and I attended the 1900 Living History Farm Dinner and one of the recipes was for this Basic Yeast Bread I was determined to try it since this bread is soooo good! I have to admit that my first attempt at this recipe didn't go so well but like I said I was determined to try it again, and again, and again. After several attempts it started turning out. A person has to "know" their bread and what it is suppose to feel like, etc. I don't make this bread as often as my family would like but I do enjoy making it when time allows. My kids love it as toast.
5 t. yeast (2 pkgs.)
1/2 c. warm water
pinch of sugar
2 c. warm water
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 t. salt
3 1/2 c. flour
Dissolve the yeast and 1/2 c. warm water and a pinch of sugar. Set in a warm place and allow to foam for a few minutes. Blend until creamy the 2 c. warm water, butter, 1/2 c. sugar, eggs, salt and flour. Mix with the yeast that has been rising. Gradually add 5-6 c. more flour until dough is very stiff. Let dough stand for 10 minutes. Knead for 10 minutes, adding one more cup of flour if needed. Let rise, punch down. Let rise, punch down again. Form into rolls or loaves, let rise. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I usually make the bread and get 3 loaves.

No comments :
Post a Comment