I don't know if I have mentioned before that I admire Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. We don't have cable TV so I have never seen one of her cooking shows which I would be addicted to if we did have cable TV, but that's beside the point. I enjoy her cookbooks that are chock full of recipes, pictures, and stories. I love her personality that comes out clearly with each recipe and story. This recipe is from one of Ree's cookbooks which I made the other day for lunch. Who doesn't love breakfast for lunch or supper? We do - it's called brupper (breakfast for supper). These take a little more work that just adding an egg, oil and milk or water to some Bisquick mix but man, oh man, they are soooooooooooo worth it! If only I had some of the Redi-Whipp whipped cream to dollop on the top of these morsels, I would have been in la-la land. But I guess, I already was, even without it! So, I hope you find them just as delightful as we did!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 c. milk
2 egg yolks
1 T. plus 1 t. vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
Butter and warm syrup for serving
Heat a waffle iron to medium heat.
Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt & sugar.
In a small pitcher, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, begin whisking the egg whites...
And keep going until they're thick and slightly stiff. Note that this will make your arm feel like it's going to fall off, so feel free to use a mixer with a whisk attachment if you want to take the easy road!
Finally, melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave.
Now it's time to make the batter! Pour the milk mixture into the dry mixture, stirring gently to combine.
Stir in the melted butter...
Then pour in the beaten egg whites...
And gently fold them in just until they're combined.
Scoop the batter into the waffle iron and cook for several minutes...
Until the waffles are deep golden brown and crisp. Repeat to make the rest of the waffles.
Serve the waffles warm, with butter and syrup.
Now entering la-la-land! :)
No comments :
Post a Comment