The love of family is life's greatest blessing!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Peach Pie

With the Iowa State Fair upon us (which, by the way, is the grandest State Fair in the U.S. -- it's the only State Fair I've ever been to but hey, since it's the best, I don't need to go to any other fair).  Like I was saying, with the Iowa State Fair upon us, I thought I would post my peach pie recipe that I entered this year at the Southern Iowa Fair, which is our local fair.  I received a blue ribbon for my pie and actually ended up with the Best of Show ribbon in the Culinary Division.  I was pretty excited but I have to tribute some of my success to Lois Harris.  This is her recipe and it comes from the Oskaloosa Christian School Cookbook.  Thanks for the great recipe, Lois!  

If you love peach pie, you have to try this one.  If you don't love peach pie, you should!  :)  



Me with my pie & ribbons along with the runner ups.

CRUST (for 2 pies):
1 c. Crisco
1/2 c. lard
4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1 1/4 t. salt
1 egg
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 T. vinegar

Mix all dry ingredients.  Cut in Crisco and margarine until pea size pieces.


Stir egg, 1/2 c. water and vinegar together in a cup.
  Stir into flour mixture with a fork until it almost cleans side of bowl.  


Divide into 4 equal parts.  


Makes 2 double crust pies.


FILLING:
4 c. (6 large) peaches 
(in my opinion, Missouri peaches are the only peaches one should use in a recipe like this)
4-4 1/2 T. cornstarch
1 c. sugar
1/4 t. almond flavoring
1 T. butter
Remove peach skins and slice peaches into bowl of water that has fruit fresh dissolved in it.  Drain peach slices and stir in sugar, cornstarch and almond flavoring.  Pour into bottom crust and dot with 1 T. butter.  Add top crust and cut vents.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes; then at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.  Top crust may be sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar before baking.  



No comments :

Post a Comment