We subscribe to the "Our Iowa" magazine. It's always a contest to see who gets to the mailbox first to get the new issue. If I'm the first one to the mailbox, I like to hide it so I can have first chance at thumbing through it to see what interesting stories and pictures they have included in the magazine. If Jeff beats me to the mailbox, he comes in with a grin on his face and I know he's up to something. Then I figure it out that the new issue has arrived. We enjoy the magazine, A LOT! Anyway, Jeff's favorite story in each issue is the weekly Amish diary that Ruby Kuhn's shares with the readers. She is from the Drakesville/Bloomfield area and they have an in-home bakery where they make lots of baked goods to take to farmer's markets from May-October. In most issues, Ruby includes a recipe they have recently made. In the June/July 2013 issue, Ruby included this recipe for Rhubarb Custard Pie. I made it to take to a family reunion on Memorial Day. I didn't bring any of it home so I had to make another one. Still didn't last long.
2 cups sliced rhubarb
1 unbaked pie shell
1 egg
1 cup cream
1 cup sugar
1 T. flour
Pinch of salt
Put the rhubarb in the pie shell. In a bowl, beat the egg and cream thoroughly, then stir in the sugar, flour and salt. Pour over rhubarb.
Bake at 350* for 45-60 minutes or until center is set.
No comments :
Post a Comment