The love of family is life's greatest blessing!

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Oatmeal Cake

Since our summer was busy with contractors on the yard, what seemed liked every day, we were not able to take a vacation as a family.  I was really bummed about that....I love seeing the country and all of God's beauty.  But I convinced Jeff and the family to take me on a day trip for my birthday which is August 1.  I proposed to go to the Amish Auction near Drakesville and then head down to Cantril to the Dutchman's Store.  It was an enjoyable day.  This picture with me and the kiddos is taken at a little park in Cantril.  


When we got home, Ashli made me my favorite cake of all time!  I remember making this cake for the county fair when I was in 4-H.  Way back then (I'm so old, ya know) the county fair was the latter part of July and early August so that worked well to make myself a cake for the fair and my birthday.  I love it that Ashli is old enough to make things on her own without assistance....I never did like making myself a birthday cake.  This cake tasted sooooo good this year because I didn't have to make it myself.    Thanks, Ashli!


Mix together and let stand 20 minutes:
1 c. quick oatmeal
1 stick butter
1 1/2 c. boiling water

Add:
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. soda
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. cinnamon

Bake in 9x13 greased pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Topping:
6 T. butter, soft
1/4 c. milk or light cream
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. large nuts
1 c. coconut

Mix and spread on cake.  Put in slow broiler until brown.

No comments :

Post a Comment