The love of family is life's greatest blessing!

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I love all things zucchini but I don't plant any in my garden because usually, at this time of year, there is an abundance of zucchini that every Tom, Dick, Harry is trying to give away.  

Our church has a produce table sitting outside the front doors on Sunday mornings.  The purpose of this table is for those who have an over abundance of produce from their gardens to bring and share with the congregation.  I've been waiting and waiting for the zucchini to show up and each week I'm disappointed that there hasn't been any.  Either others have beaten me to it or there just isn't any.  

So, when the kids and I went to the Dutchman's Store in Cantril a while back, I bought a couple of zucchini's to use in my various recipes.  Then, just a few short days later, when we were moving Ashli back to college, her landlord came downstairs and asked me if I would like to have this large zucchini that she had gotten from her garden.  Of course I agreed to take it off her hands :).  She was commenting on how her zucchini was very bountiful this year.  Hmmm?  I told Jodi (the landlord) about the church produce table and Cheryl, (who was moving in Ashli's roommate and best friend, and who also goes to our church) said she wasn't able to grow zucchini this year and neither was her mother-in-law.  So, we came to the conclusion that the drought we are having has something to do with gardeners not having an over abundance of zucchini.  Unless, you are from the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area who has gotten ample amounts of rain over the summer.  :0)  With that being said, here is a new recipe I tried with some of the zucchini that I have enjoyed.  Thanks, Jodi!  


2 3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cocoa
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 c. grated zucchini
3/4 c. pecans
1 c. chocolate chips (I did not use these)

Mix flour, cocoa, salt & soda.  Cream oil, butter & sugar until fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Blend in vanilla.  Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to creamed mix, beating well.  Stir in zucchini.  Pour into 9x13" pan.  Sprinkle pecans & chocolate chips on top.  Bake 50-55 minutes at 325 degrees.  Cool and frost as desired.  


Frosting:
1 c. milk
1 pkg. white chocolate pudding
Mix milk & pudding until it starts to thicken.  

Add 1 (8 oz.) container of Cool Whip.  
Spread over cake.




2 comments :

  1. This looks so good and moist! Our church has a garden produce bench ;) Some people even bring bags with their produce so you can easily take it home with you. I haven't seen any zucchini yet but when I do I'll have to make this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Val! It was good to hear from you. This cake is the perfect moist cake. And of course it's very delish. I have another chocolate zucchini cake that seems a little dry so this is now my new favorite. How are the crops looking up your way? Ours actually don't look as bad as they could since we have had very little, and I mean very little down here all summer. God is still taking care of us even when we want to complain about not getting adequate rainfall. He's so got this under control we need to trust him no matter what. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete