The love of family is life's greatest blessing!

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Mini Fruit Pizza's

When I was planning Ashli's graduation party and I asked her what she would like to have for food she knew she wanted Fruit Pizza.  She had done some searching on Pinterest and found fruit pizza's that were made from individual sugar cookies.  That sounded very do-able for me and something that I would be able to make ahead and freeze.  Well, sometimes I make things harder than they really need to be and the fruit on these little rascals made me pull my hair out.  :)  I experimented over and over again and over again and again.  It all tasted good but I just wasn't satisfied with the final product until about 2 a.m. one morning (yes, I lost sleep over this) when I woke up with the thought of using my Sunday Best Fruit Salad as the topping.  Light bulb went on and at last I was satisfied.  :)  I still lost sleep over other things having to do with the party but the fruit issue was solved.  Thankfully!  So, if you ever want to make mini fruit pizzas, try these and don't lose any sleep over it - I've already done that for you.  :)


Sugar Cookies (THE BEST YET)
this recipe is from Jeff's Aunt Mae

1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. oil
1/4 t. salt
2 t. vanilla
5 c. flour
2 t. soda
2 t. cream of tartar

Cream butter and sugar; add eggs, oil. salt, and vanilla; mix well.  Combine flour with remaining ingredients and add to the first mixture.  Form into balls about 1 inch in diameter; roll in granulated sugar and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.  Flatten with bottom of glass.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Frosting
(1) 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla (I used 1/2 t. vanilla & 1/2 t. almond flavoring)

Mix together until smooth.  Spread over cookies.

Fruit Topping
(1) 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits (juice reserved)
(1) 21 oz. can peach pie filling (peaches diced)
2 bananas (peeled & diced)
3 kiwis (cut into small pieces)
1 pint strawberries (cut into small pieces)
1 carton blueberries (cut in half)

In a large bowl, combine the peach pie filling and pineapple tidbits.  Add chopped bananas to reserved pineapple juice and let sit for 5-10 minutes.  Add kiwi, strawberries and blueberries to the peach and pineapple mixture.  Remove bananas from pineapple juice and add to pie filling mixture.  Gently toss together and add a tablespoon of the fruit onto each cookie.

Vicki's Notes:
I made the cookies, frosted them and laid them out to dry for a few hours.  Then I stacked them in containers with wax paper between the layers of cookies and put them in the freezer.  When ready to serve, thaw and add the fruit to the top.  

We made the fruit topping the day before (even the bananas) and it worked well.  I think something in the pineapple juice that the bananas had to soak in helps make the bananas not get too brown.

FYI:  The peach pie filling is a thickening to this topping and was not too runny to make the cookies soggy.  




No comments :

Post a Comment