The love of family is life's greatest blessing!

Friday, January 11, 2013

Soft Caramels


I made a batch of my mom's easy caramels for Christmas this year and when I went to cut them up to wrap them, I couldn't even get a knife into them so I pitched them to the sows.  I think my candy thermometer had gotten submerged in water and therefore it doesn't work properly (of course I didn't realize this until after the fact).  Anyway, I bought another candy thermometer but also decided to try a different caramel recipe.


2 sticks margarine
2 c. light corn syrup
2 c. sugar
2 cans (15 oz. each) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. sifted flour
1 t. vanilla

In a heavy saucepan; melt butter.  Add syrup and sugar.  Boil for 5 minutes over medium heat stirring constantly.  Add 1 1/2 cans of milk.  Mix flour thoroughly with remaining milk, then add to syrup/sugar mixture.  Boil until mixture darkens and forms a medium hard ball (240*).  Stir constantly or mixture will stick.  Add vanilla and pour into buttered 9x13x2" pan.  Allow to cool.  Cut into 1 inch pieces with a sharp, buttered knife.  Optional:  Dip in chocolate or drizzle chocolate over the top.  Wrap in wax paper.

No comments :

Post a Comment